B is for Blogging…

Why your business needs to blog

If you’ve scoured the internet for long enough it’s likely that at some point you will have landed on a web page that contains a blog entry. Blogging is imperative to business success in so many ways but only a few businesses seem to be utilsing the blogging opportunity.

These next few statements are probably very true for a number of businesses:

  • Time restraints mean that blogging often gets put to the bottom of the pile as other tasks are prioritised
  • You don’t know what to blog about, therefore, you just don’t do it
  • You don’t understand how blogging is going to help your business, so don’t see it is a necessity.

If any of those statements ring true with you, then it’s probably wise to keep reading as we identify the importance of regular blogging and creating an effective blogging content strategy.

Blogging has a handful of benefits to your business

Increase position on search engine listings

Search engines like Google, like to provide their users with relevant content that answers someone’s search query or is highly related to the search query that was input. Blogging provides you with an opportunity to include your keywords in your blog entries, helping Google identify exactly what your business is all about. For example, a Landlord might be searching for current property trends. From a business perspective and as an Estate Agent, one item you could blog about is the current trends in the property market. If you insert these terms throughout your content, Google will recognise the correlation between your blog entry and the search query made by the user and if your content is optimised, it could get your blog entry and essentially your brand in front of a new perspective customer. Google also likes to see that you are updating your website with fresh content on a regular basis, so by blogging regularly you appeal to the SEO ideals.

Resultantly Increase Traffic to Website

Essentially, if you are listing on more search results for the reasons mentioned above, it comes as no surprise that traffic to your website should certainly increase. Pages that list on the first page of Google receive a much higher visit rate from organic searches than those that list on page 2 and beyond. Therefore, listing on page 1 gets your brand and website seen more frequently and if your page description (the bit of snapshot information shown to users when making a search) is good enough, it could result in a visit to your website.
Traffic is likely to be interested parties – Getting traffic to your website is great, but it’s really important that the traffic is valuable. If you have taken the factors mentioned above, you should have inserted relevant keywords and phrases in your blog entries. Don’t go writing about a load of random things, totally unrelated to your business or industry: use the opportunity to express your knowledge in the industry.

Retaining and Attaining Customers

Blogging can also help you retain traffic. Just think, if you are posting valuable, insightful and useful information, not only does this demonstrate your knowledge in your industry, it provides a customer or prospective customer assurance that you know what you are doing and that you are a reputable, trust worthy business. This is a great way of attracting new customers and also maintaining the interest of existing customers by keeping them up to date and almost inviting them to become part of your community.

Brand Awareness – Great Content for Social Media

If you are curating lots of useful and interesting content, why not publish this on your socials. This is a great brand awareness exercise and saves you from creating and hunting for relevant information to post on your channels: use your own content and shout about what you do and what you know.

Some top tips on blogging:

  • Try and maintain a consistent and regular blogging strategy; ideally you should be blogging every fortnight and once a month at a bare minimum.
  • Remember 20% of your blog content should be about company news, the other 80% should be about industry news.
    Be reactive – if something has happened in your industry that you have an opinion on and are able to produce content related to the topical issue, do it. It keeps you current and shows you are on top of trends.
  • Sit down with your colleagues and create a content calendar for a couple of months in advance, so that you aren’t searching for content topics at the last moment.

If you need any assistance on writing your blog, then contact Carrick today as we can help you create consistent and effective blog content.

Do you have a question?